Thursday, January 8, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

A few of us were recently compiling lists of our favorite movies. Mine was weighted heavily in favor of musicals and anything produced before 1970. After we shared there was a flurry of “Oh I forgot this, I simply MUST add it!” and “Love that movie!” emails.

And it got me thinking. We’re all too happy to share our favorites: Top 10 ever, best of 2008, best gangster movies, Pixar’s greatest achievement, favorite comedies, awesomest Judd Apatow, etc. But what about the crappy ones? The unmarked DVDs that you’ve secreted away on your DVD shelf and pull out when incapacitated by the flu. The movies that deserve a place on your top 10 instead of Schindler’s List. Because you don’t watch Schindler’s List every Saturday at 2:00 in the morning, you watch Dodgeball. Or possibly Caddyshack. Maybe Anchorman.

I’m going to be brave and admit that when the room mate and I hit our couch-napping time on Christmas day our hallowed trilogy consisted of A Knight’s Tale, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and First Knight. Guilty pleasures all. And it felt good.

In closing, I know I’m not the only one who’s got a love for Multiplicity or Stargate or The Parent Trap (the Lindsay Lohan version).

It’s time to fess up.

3 comments:

  1. I used to really love He Said, She Said, with Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth Perkins - does that count? I think it does... though probably not as much as Save the Last Dance, which will always have a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on Parent Trap -- I cry every time.

    My must-watch Christmas trilogy: Die Hard, Bad Santa, and Serenity.

    Why Serenity? In the immortal words of John Belushi -- WHY NOT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got, Save the Last Dance. Love it.

    I first saw Die Hard in junior high on cable. My parents were hosting a dinner party and I was trapped in the basement watching. And then there was an earthquake and I refused to leave because I was so into John McClane. True story.

    ReplyDelete